Candles are used on numerous occasions and as gifts. They have long been created and brought different meanings to our life. Some would associate the symbol of the candle with relaxation. Others may say candles remind them of a quick reflection in their memories. Festivals, including Diwali, also use candles to light up the dark with the hope that the good will defeat evil and the light will conquer the darkness.
There are candles used in spiritual ceremonies or scary scenes you have seen in movies. In this article, we are going to discuss more candles and how to make them for gifts. We believe that a nice set of candles will be a wonderful present and add warmth to any occasion.
[su_related_article heading="" links='
- How To Make Diwali Lanterns - DIY Decoration Ideas For You!
- How to Make Decorative Wreaths
- 6 Best Candles For Light of 2023
1. Getting To Know Your Candles
As a rule, we would tell you some information about the subject, which is the candle in this article. There are many facts about candles that not everyone knows. If you want to make candles at home, whether as gifts or selling them, you should take some notes on candles, including types, waxes, fragrance, and etiquette.
Types of Candles
- Scented Candles
Scented candles are becoming more popular these days and are sold on numerous websites, as well as stores. You can easily catch sight of scented candles when going shopping or scrolling your Instagram.
Like any candle invented, they are used to light up your room for a cozier atmosphere. They make the character of your space more evident through the scent. It can be wooden, jasmine, orange, or any scent you choose. The scented candles are compared with an escape from reality. They are favorable items for those searching for relaxation or sleep therapy.
- Decorative candles
The name has been used for the candles themselves. Decorative candles are similar to the scented ones in terms of accessibility. But they have no scent and are used mainly for home decoration.
The decorative candles have their unique aesthetic vibes, and each of their styles will bring one different energy to your living space. They can be displayed in the dining room, living room, bedroom, or simply coffee tables.
Decorative candles are divided into four smaller groups. They are pillar candles, taper candles, votive candles, and tea lights. We especially love the pillar candles for their coziness and elegant appearance.
Types of Wax For Making Candles
The wax types for candles, in general, are differentiated into three groups: paraffin candle wax, soy wax, and beeswax. The paraffin wax is synthetically made, and it is also the cheapest to purchase. However, it is not the most satisfactory one to make DIY candles.
Hence, if you are going to make DIY candles, we suggest you go with soy wax because it is the easiest to do with. Soy wax is affordable, safe, and suitable for every candle maker, either professional or amateur.
2. How To Make Candles For Gift At Home
Now to the fun part: Making candles for gifts. As mentioned, candles are wonderful presents for every occasion since they add warmth and positive energy to the receivers. In this section, we will instruct you on how to make a scented candle for your loved ones.
What You Need
To make candles, you will need all the listed materials and tools.
- A sturdy glass container with an optional size
- A pan and heat source
- A pair of scissors or wick trimmer
- Candle wicks and a small wood stick or chopstick
- Wick holder
- A silicone spatula
- Soy wax or paraffin wax
- Essential oil of optional scents
If you think the list is too complex and you will waste lots of time finding the materials, you can purchase a candle-making kit from e-commerce websites.
Candle Making Steps
- Measure your glass jar and the amount of candle wax you need. This is the first step, and it needs accuracy. Check and measure carefully before you come to the next step.
- Take your candle wick and attach it to the wick holder with glue. Then glue them down the glass jar in the center. After that, take the chopstick or wooden stick you have prepared to tight a knot with the remaining part of the candlewick.
Remember to leave a length of 1 to 1.5 centimeters. This stick is used to keep your wick straight in the center and still when you pour the wax into the glass jar later. But if your wick is made of wood, you don't have to do the knot tightening. Also, trim your wick with scissors or a trimmer if required.
3. It is time to melt the wax. Now pour your wax into the pan. Set it on the heat with mild intensity. Use the silicone spatula to gently whisk it around equally. If you see the wax has been liquified fully, you can turn off the heat. Do not melt your wax with a temperature that is higher than 200 Fahrenheit degrees. After that, you can add your essential oil to scent the candle. We are almost done.
4. Wait for 2 minutes before pouring the wax into the glass container. Pour the liquid slowly and remember to leave approximately ¼ of the jar space. You must not pour to the maximum capacity of the jar. Then all we have to do is wait. Set the candle aside for it to be completely cool. Then you have finished your scented candle.
As we have done making the candle, you can add decoration such as ribbons to the jar, so that it would look more appealing. You can make as many candles as you need with the above process. It is easy and fun. It can also be an activity that you share with your family or friends.
3. More About Candles
Burn Time of A Candle
The burn time depends on the size of the candle. The larger your candle is, the faster it burns. Strange as it sounds, the larger candle needs to consume more wax than the smaller one. While the approximate burn time of a small candle is 7 to 9 hours per 28 grams of wax, a bigger candle only burns for 5 to 7 hours with the same amount of wax.
Scented candles are becoming more popular these days for the vibes they bring to life. They can be romantic, refreshing, invigorating, and festive. For the romantic scents, you should pick the rose, champagne, and peony.
Cotton, peppermint, and berry scents are for the refreshing vibe. Wood, rosemary, and ginger scents are perfect when you are looking for an invigorating space. Last but not least, citrus, wood, and cardamom smells are the best for the festive season.
Lastly, let's discuss some rules when you use candles. The most important rule to follow is never leaving your candles near flammable furniture or materials. This can lead to a fire breakout and endanger you.
Secondly, always pay attention when your candle is lit up for fire precaution. Thirdly, you must not leave a pillar candle directly onto any furniture in the house. Also, do not burn out the wick. Save the last inch for it. Finally, notice your glass jar as it can get too hot while you use your candle.
Candles are beautiful symbols of light, coziness, and relaxation. We all think they are perfect for gifts, whether on birthdays or at Christmas. When making candles as gifts, all you need are a loving heart, effort, and time. The most precious present does not belong to the material world but the mentality.